10.28.2010

What's in a name?

So let's be honest...Rhoda? Who names their child in this day and age Rhoda? Nobody, that's who. I grew up being teased and tormented by friends and family...I hated it! As a child/youth I didn't even try to hide how much I disliked my name. Every time I would say something unkind about my name my mom would tell me how much Grandma Rhoda would disagree or that it would make grandma sad to hear me say that.

After living with my name for 30 something years, becoming an adult and thinking about how I made Grammy sad all those times...I still just don't like my name! (Sorry Grams!). I actually really admire my grandma (she lived her whole life named Rhoda...God Bless her!) she died a few years before I was born, I'm told she was an amazing woman and I am looking forward to meeting her someday . So it has nothing to do with the actual person or persons who've had this name, or even the people who gave me the name....it's just me. i. don't. love. it!

I've even thought about the chance of moving away somewhere completely new where no one knows me and I can pick a new name and start introducing myself with a...better name. But I can't even decided on a name that I would like! Maybe that's why I had such a hard time picking out my daughters name...I just can't come up with a perfect girl name! Ironically, my daughter rarely goes by the name we gave her--go figure! Other people who've had this same dilemma will use their middle name...but I don't like my middle name either. Curses.

So on the very rare chance that I get an opportunity to turn into someone new...What do you think?



Sorry, I tried to find a picture with just me, but after looking back through months and months of pictures I gave up.

6 comments:

Cristy said...

That's funny because naming my daughter was hard because I don't want her to hate it. I like my name but I know others who hate theirs so, yeah, I wanted to avoid that. Of course no name was fool proof. As far as a new name for you, it is hard for me as I have never thought about any other name then Rhoda for you. Hummm.... maybe you could ba a Lisa, Jen or Beth or something.... I dunno that is just what popped in my head. LOL!

Kelly Jean said...

Haha - Well. Ryan goes by "Clay" now... and that's not even his middle name, he just liked it. Maybe you could name yourself after a character in a book/movie you love... that's probably what I'd do. (It'd just be narrowing it down on which one..) Do whatever makes you happy :)

mr. crabbs said...

Maybe you could work out some sort of combination of your names. How about Rho-ry? No? Maybe Ma-da? Hmm, I see the dilemma. Maybe you should just introduce yourself as Mrs. Claws.

Tiffany McAlister said...

No offense, but you ARE Rhoda! I'm sitting here, and no other name I come up with fits.

I love Mrs. Claws. But don't move..I'll gladly start calling you by your new name now! How about Lisa? I hope you remember to answer to that now when I call you...

Teachinfourth said...

You are the only Rhoda I've ever known…you'll never get confused with somebody else's name, right?

Try having a name like Jason...

Unknown said...

I hear you. My real first name is Emma. I thought I would be the weird kid with the old name when I moved to Utah in 1st grade so I started going by my middle name Michelle. Now Emma is one of the top names. Go figure.