Here are the invitations!
I have to admit they were cool! I'm pretty proud of them. I searched high and low for some good paper to use for the invitations. I finally found something that I didn't hate and bought them for $7...a few pieces of paper, for that much money! {choking sound} I get home and decide that I want to print the invite out on a test paper....with it costing that much money I want to make sure it's going to work the first time I load it in the printer! So I grabbed some cream construction paper and print out the invite on that! LOVED it! In fact it's the old, extra paper that my MIL gave me from her school a few years back! FREE..can't beat that! So I happily took the paper back to the store. We tore the free-cream-construction paper, inked up the edges, rolled them into scrolls, tied them up and handed them out. Well the day of the party arrived and so did the guests, when they came in we had them take a pictures with Mily and the unicorn (the theme of the party!) Rusty kept asking for his turn for a picture with Mily so of course she was happy to accommodate him! What a cute couple.
The Geese, I mean guests were then given a paper unicorn horn and asked to color and decorate it, then we played pin the horn on the unicorn..I know totally original and super fun, but hey she picked the games!
After the pinata we opened presents and ate some cake and ice cream. We had planned to plug in the video camera and let them watch themselves on TV! Shawn was instructed to only record short little clips of them showing up at the party, pinning the horn on the unicorn and watching themselves go after the pinata. I especially was looking forward to that part because I was laughing so hard at how many times I would lower the pinata and accidental smack the kids in the head! No seriously it was an accident, but I would laugh every time! Anyway we set it up and they start watching, they were enjoying the first part of the movie but then somehow Shawn got off on his pause/record button during the pinata! Shawn would record during the exchange of kids and then when a kid would start to hit the pinata, he would turn OFF the camera! Too funny..although kind of sad, we had gotten finished with the party a LOT earlier than we had planned and watching video of the upside down garage with voices in the distance just wasn't holding the kids' attention! So I turned the camera over to record and video taped them being goof balls in my living room. They went WILD when they saw themselves live on TV. Still that only lasted a little while and we ended up putting in a movie to cover the rest of the time.
I felt bad, duh, I've never been very good about judging how much time something might take, and the killer is that we had talked about it and decided to ADD more time to the party so we actually re-printed the invitations (remember on my free paper!) to add on more time! Ironically we got finished with everything at the original time we had decided to end the party...too bad we had another half and hour to fill. Thank goodness for great films that can entertain a room full of 7 year olds...Hoodwinked, it's a classic!
For our treat bag to send home with the kids, we stuck our traditional crab eraser, (ask anyone, I bought them a few years ago and ordered too many so they get passed out for everything!), Light stick thingy, pixie sticks and chocolate covered pretzels that were suppose to be unicorn horns, although we never told them that so I'm sure they were just thinking it was a weird addition to the treat bag! We also printed off the pictures of them with Mily when they arrived that said, "thanks for coming."
Lots of work, probably need to hire someone to show me how it's done for the next one, since I promised all my kids they could have friend birthday parties, this go round. Darn. Anyone want to volunteer to throw a party for a bunch of 9 year old boys? No, takers...big surprise, how about suggestions? Got any of those?

1 comment:
Those invitations are really cute! I might have to do something like that!! (not exactly like that, though.)
Post a Comment