
So I've always had straight A students...or rather straight "4's" it's been lovely actually. With the homework that they've been coming home with this year and their reading level I didn't expect anything less...that is until they both came home with their report card. A "3" in comprehension? Seriously? Both Mily and Josh? What's up with that? How is that even possible they are both way above their grade level in reading?
Fast forward to parent teacher conference we start talking about the "3." Turns out that because Mily (who is in 1st grade) is at a 4th grade reading level, her comprehension is not up to where it should be for her 4th grade books. Joshua's teacher had the same story. Does that sound right to anyone else? Shouldn't they be graded at the their current grade level? I can understand their point, but I just think it's wrong that one of the smartest people in the class has a lower grade because they are so smart???? Can someone explain this to me?
I guess if Mily is getting graded at a 4th grade level and is pulling out a "3" that's pretty darn good. And I know in elementary their grade really doesn't matter much, it's just a little disheartening to my kids who always pull out such amazing grades to feel like they haven't been trying hard enough.

3 comments:
When I was sitting with Spencer's teacher (Who I just love! I want him to teach all my kids!!) for teacher conference this year, I made a comment about all the "4's" on his report card. Mr. Plott said, "That's actually not great...what you want to see is all "3's". If they are at "4" all the time, it means they aren't being challenged enough." So the question is, are your kids teachers assigning them books on their reading level for class work? If so, the "3" seems okay. If not, then they should for sure be getting a "4"!
:D
Hmmmm. Ahead of their grade level, but still not good enough is tough! I'm a very type A person and need to see that 4 or A for myself. If they are above their level and above where they are "supposed" to be, I think they should get 4's, but with an added note regarding their comprehension at their above level status. I agree they should be graded at their grade level as well as all the kids in the class. If they are reading at a 4th grade level, but comprehending at a 3rd grade level they get a 3, but someone who is reading at a 1st grade level and comprehends at a 1st or even 2nd grade level and get a 4 - that would seem weird to me. Or maybe everyone gets a 3 or lower because no one is perfect? It sounds like even if your child was 12 years AND in college, she would still get a 3 because she "could" be reading or comprehending at a higher level. LOL I mean hello?? Don't they know Latin yet?? LOL
Wow! That definitely doesn't seem right...at all. If they moved her to a 4th grade class, then yeah...she should be graded that way. But she's actually in 1st grade and should definitely get a 4. I would be talking to somebody about that. But that's just me. =)
Post a Comment