11.11.2010

Please RISE!

These are the words heard before the national anthem is played, before the pledge of allegiance is recited, before a bride walks into a room, or a casket is wheeled into a funeral service...It is a symbol of our utmost respect.

I was thinking about Veterans Day, this is certainly our day to rise up to thank and honor those men and women who have served our country!

I was pondering some personal moments that I associate with Veterans Day. Although they are my memories and therefore most special to me, I thought I would go ahead and share them with you anyway.

I've been in several different settings where, to pay tribute to our veterans, music from each of the military branches is played, as the songs change, those individuals within that branch rise and stand at attention...it's always touching to witness some of our more elderly and feeble when it is their turn, struggle to their feet and then stand and salute with as much pride in their eyes as ever before!
(a picture of a veteran who I though was dang cute!)

I remember in one setting, being blown away by how many people stood, both men and women with ages scattered through the years. Every time I witness this, I always secretly wish I could stand with them, what a neat thing to be able to stand for! A FEW years ago in High school {whistling} we had an assembly where our Vice Principle asked all those in the audience who were related to someone who was, or had ever served in the military, to please stand up! I remember jumping to my feet to represent my Grandpa! (my dad's dad) I felt so proud to stand up and be counted for those who have served our country. I love that I got my opportunity to stand up...I'll never forget that!

Another moment I wanted to share is about my Grandpa-in-law! When I got married I not only gained a wonderful husband with a fabulous family, but the deal also included a GRANDPA! Since my own grandparent's all passed away when I was really young, I was literally thrilled to have a grandpa again! (This may or may not have been on the list of reasons I was excited to marry Shawn, that and he has an amazing singing voice...just a few of those extra perks!) ☻

One of the things I loved about grandpa was how patriotic he was, and how loyal he was to "his" branch of the military! I remember shortly after Shawn and I were married, I accidentally wore an OLD NAVY t-shirt to grandpa's house...Whoa, never did that again! ☺ (Thanks for the heads up on that btw! psshhh!) I loved to listen to stories from his life, even if sometimes they were the same ones over and over again...he loved life and he loved to tell you about it.

Shawn's Grandpa had served in WWII and saw a lot of "action!" I remember hearing a story he told about how his squadron was flying along when all of the sudden they started receiving flak and how he watched the plane on his side go down in flames...knowing his dear friend was inside! I also remember during a story one time grandpa suddenly broke out into song...singing the entire Air Force theme song! This guy was amazing. One of the most moving moments I had with this song was actually during grandpa's funeral. Uncle Clark composed a piano medley of grandpa's favorite songs and in it, he included the Air Force song. When Clark transitioned into that unmistakable tune it was almost as if I could here grandpa himself singing in his deep bass voice:

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)*
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!**
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!***
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!


Nothing but proud of my family who has/is serving in the military and all of the other brave men and women who are doing the same!


Thank you.

No comments: