11.02.2010

Well, that was interesting!


So last week at Pack Meeting, we had some local fire fighters come in and do a lesson on fire safety. Afterward they showed the boys the trucks and even let them get in one of them. The paramedic showed the tubes and suction they use to clean the throw-up out of a patients mouth and then even described how he shoves a tube down the nose, really deep and sucks out the throw-up before it comes up and out...and onto him. It was perfectly gross for a bunch of 8-10 year olds! They loved it! For a special treat one of the firefighters called into dispatch to have her welcome our scout troop over radio transmission. After he placed his call he asked all the other fire fighters to turn up their radios in the trucks cars and their walkies. A few minutes later the the dispatcher started relaying a message. But instead of the welcome message they were expecting it was an actual emergency call. You should have seen the looks on the men's faces...not what they intended for a whole bunch of kids to hear. After the call ended and the boys looked confused/curious, he translated the code telling us that there was a car accident on I-15 and that they had requested the jaws of life to cut someone out of their car. The boys thought it was SO COOL to hear that call! They also thought it was cool a few minutes later when the same lady came on a welcoming our scout troop for the evening. Once the boys realized that every firefighter in the valley had heard that call they were smiling from ear to ear! After their great presentation the fire fighters got in their trucks, turned on their lights (7 O'clock at night it's pretty dark already) and blared their sirens...every boy's dream come true. Need a suggestion for pack meeting? ...call your local fire station!

My den was in charge of the skit/song and since we never have any time to put one together I found one that requires no practicing. The boys had no idea what they were getting into. I told the group we were going to explain how to build a proper fire. Since we didn't have any wood I told them I would just have to use the cub scouts...I grabbed a few of the smaller boys and said, "first you grab your kindling, or your small wood and put them tightly together." I sat four boys back to back and had them lock their elbows. Then I had four more boys be the twigs, they knelt down opposite each other and leaned over the smaller boys and interlocked their hands. Then I had the remaining two boys be the big sturdy logs (if you don't have that many cubs, grab some good natured cub master or leaders!) I had them stand over the rest of the boys and also interlock their hands. (everyone was jammed in pretty tight---so they couldn't run!) Then I talked about how this month we were talking about being responsible and that a responsible thing to do, would be to have a bucket of ice cold water near by to douse the flame. Then I took a bucket of shredded and balled up paper (confetti would have worked too...easy to vacuum, but I didn't have any.) and screamed ICE COLD WATER as I poured it over them! I heard the parents laughing harder than the boys...I guess they could see the reaction of the boys better.

Cub Scouts...sometimes it's pretty fun!

No comments: