9.22.2010

Iron Blossom

The annual trip o' fun!

Every year we usually have an opportunity to spend some time up at Snowbird with our extended family. There has been a few times in the past where we we've been lucky enough to spend a night up there, which is always so much fun. We've had our fair share of time up there so we didn't think we would be able to spend a night, but there was a last minute change and we were called and asked if we could check in Saturday and told that we could spend the night to Sunday. Since we live maybe 30 minutes away and church didn't start until 11am we decided to go for it! We got all packed, threw our stuff in the car (that's a lot of stuff for just one night sheesh!) and headed up the mountain. Since we don't get to check in until after 4pm the first thing we did was take a walk over to the playground...that was too hot! So we continued up to the main lodge and looked through some of the shops...way too expensive! We were sitting here waiting for everyone to get out of the Lu and one of the kids (I know I'm horrible I don't even know which kid it was) asked me to take a picture of trees that are growing in the middle of the building. "Um, okay! Smile everyone!" ☺Thanks Wes!

After we were finally able to go up to our room I told the kids the first thing we were going to do was, eat dinner...I know my kids were really annoyed with me. But I did that so they could spend as much time as they wanted down at the pool before it closed. They scarfed down their food and we headed down. And just so I don't get too many comments on what a bad mother I am encouraging my kids to eat just before they go swimming...let's face it, they don't swim, they bob up and down in the water and splash people while wearing their life vests, in 3-5 feet deep water...not a real threat! Anyway, so they sat around and waited for mom to cook dinner...okay lets be honest, waited for mom to warm up the dinner that she plopped out of a can! Yeah, I'm that kind of mom!

We all had a great time, the pool was REALLY warm and the sun was nice and hot! Perfect. After a good hour or so Rusty and Mom got too cold (the sun went behind the tree's) so we decided to go back up to the room and watch from above....when that got boring we decided to go on an adventure by ourselves!
I'm sure I've told you about Rusty infatuation with Dora!? Well as we were hiking up the mountainside we started talking about swimming through crocodile lake and tip-toeing through the sleepy meadow and jumping over the slithering snakes. I was letting Rusty choose the path we would take and he would never take more than a few seconds to decided which way we were going....one of his choices led us on this small narrow path with at dark, thick forest up ahead. I pointed to it and said "Rusty, look it's the witches forest!" To which he stopped dead and informed me we needed to turn around and choose a different path! Hahah, I'm awesome! Once we got onto a new path I found a good place for a photo op...I asked Rusty to pose for me and this is what I got!
Strange kid!

Well after our adventure was over and the other kids had enough pool time we went back up to the room, grabbed our PJ's and cuddled up to watch a movie that the kids had never seen before...a classic! Galaxy Quest! Ahhh, good movie! I was laughing just as hard as I did the first time, the kids thought it was a funny movie too.

As soon as the movie was over, the kids got all snug in their beds! Doesn't it seem strange that kids LOVE to go to bed when they are some where other than home? With adults it's totally opposite!
Josh's favorite bed is the one that is hidden in the wall....it's like magic. You pull down on a handle and a bed folds out from the WALL...amazing! Okay so I guess I think it's pretty cool too!Rusty loved the bed we put together for him. I thought he was going to be upset that it looked like a crib, he hasn't slept in a crib for over a year now. But I was wrong...he thought it was so cool! We got up like we normally would, ate breakfast, showered, got dressed for church and then headed down the mountain to renew our spirits. As soon as church was over we headed home, changed into some hiking clothes and headed back up the mountain...where we bumped into a member of our bishopric...haha! His family has the same week that we do, fancy that! (Funny, our Pediatrician does too and we bumped into her as well!) We decided a good Sunday Snowbird activity would be to go on a hike.

Now, just to tell you how it's done in our family; the first thing ya do do is throw rocks in the river. You can't start a good hike without standing on the bridge and launching a few rocks out into the river.
Then every time mom sees a "pretty spot" we have to have a group picture taken!Usually kids use binoculars to see wildlife...not my kids, they are looking towards the Condo and trying to see which one is our room. City kids!You can almost see the Salt Lake Vally and the layer of Smog having over the city! Cool!After our walk and dinner was over we got everything packed up and headed over to the playground as it started to grow dark. I believe the little boy in the background in in our ward!On Wednesday, we were invited back up to the big family reunion. I of course didn't remember to bring my camera up with me this day....brilliant person that I am! We got to catch up with our aunts, uncles and cousins including the cute little twins! Of course one of the first things we did when we got up there was go to the pool again! As I was sitting there watching my cute little family, I remembered about my cell phone camera. Mily was getting brave, letting dad "throw" her in. Thanks to cousin Tyler for letting us borrow some clothes. Mily's mom sucks and apparently didn't pack her swimsuit (only hers, got everyone elses!) Horrible mom. After we were done in the pool we had a few minutes left before dinner so we decided to ride the Tram up to hidden peak. It's pretty expensive (for us) and so we've never done it before as a family. But I was checking the prices and because they charge you based on age, this was the last year before it goes up by $10 each year for the next few years. Darn growing children. So we wanted to make sure we went.

The kids were a little nervous but since it was a relatively long ride they were able to get semi-comfortable.
Look a FAMILY photo! A nice guy offered to take a picture with Shawn's iPhone. Although Shawn was a little reluctant to hand his baby over to a stranger. But what's he going to do? We were up in the air, in a box car, hanging on a cable?Daddy was pointing out towards Heber City, Utah. Where we were going to be headed in a few days for another family reunion. Hello cousins who live in Heber! My favorite picture...not bad for a cell phone!As we were getting ready to ride the tram back down the Riverton Football team who had just walked up the mountain and were all hot and sweaty boarded the tram ahead of us. There wasn't even enough room for the whole team to ride down so they called a second tram and we went down later with the coaches. As we exited the tram, the football players had formed two lines and had their coaches run through giving high-fives, my kids thought it was awesome. The first few football players at the beginning of the line saw my kids watching them and encouraged them to run through too. So they did! The boy's were so great, they kept on yelling and giving high fives as my kids ran through....GO Riverton!
Snowbird is such a fun tradition, we look forward to it every year. The only thing it's missing is grandpa, Snowbird makes me miss him.
Summer time fun: chillin at 11,000 feet!

1 comment:

Jill said...

What a fun time!! Your kiddos are getting so big, it just blows me away!! If you ever want to have a play date with Spencer, let me know, we'd love to come say Hi, and have someone his age to play with!!