9.16.2010

Cub Camp

This actually happened at the beginning of the summer, but I wanted to post other things first. So this is when Josh and I got to go play over at Cub Camp. You can tell by the smile on his face how much fun the boys had!We had two or three other packs with us, so it was interesting mixing some CRAZY new boys into the mix. One of the favorite stops was the push carts. I was so proud of Joshua, he let everyone else go first on his team, but then they ran out of time and he didn't get a chance to ride.So he got to ride the "A" frame at the next station. This was interesting, I've never seen anything like it before. This first day was called the Super Hero's Camp or something like that...it was my favorite day.
Joshie got to shoot a BB gun! He LOVED it! Now he wants to chum up to his Uncle Hazen even more...the uncle who takes him fishing, let him ride a little motorcycle/dirt bike thing....and possible take him shooting. (Uncle Hazen has the "favorite uncle" title in the bag...sorry guys!)As you can see, he was probably the only who hadn't shot anything like that before, so an amazing guy from our ward jumped in to help out!

The day was full of activities and crafts!And even an obstacle course! That was funny watching some of the boys try to scale the wall and jump over it. I know it would have been even more funny had I tried it, but still, entertaining nonetheless!The only complaint I had from the first day was the "extra" boys with the leaders who seemed not to care. So needless to say I got to whip a few extra boys into shape. That and having to remind the boys to take care of their stuff...we had a missing lunch by noon (Gggrrrrr!)

The next day we went to Jurassic Journey Camp. They kids in charge, weren't as organized as the other camp and the groups were even bigger, but the boys had a ton of fun here too. They got to dig for dinosaur bones! It was cute, they had the ground split into grids just like the professional would. There was quite some excitement when one of the boys thought they found a dinosaur skull and had three or four boys excavating it before one of the leaders pointed out the fact that it was a rock! They got to play with sling shots, which had a really cute target range. And... Archery! Josh didn't love this station, he was having a hard time getting the arrow to stay on, and then having enough strength to pull the string back. There wasn't much room for me to go in and help him (I can actually can do this! I took a class in HS and had a brother who was really into it!) and the second I started trying to help him, he got really frustrated and basically told me to back off. I think if anyone else would have gone over there to help him he would have been happy to have their help. Mom is just a big know-it-all sometimes, and it ticks him off! Hahaha...it's cool! I know that's how I felt growing up too!

Ironically the last stop, again, was the obstacle course. This one had tons of fun obstacles along the way. I was so proud of him, being my son (sheltered and well, not very athletic) he did surprisingly well!I think I'm finally getting the hang of this cub scout thing, after a year being a leader I think I'm started to understand this program!


Summer fun outing: Time spent with Josh at Cub Scout camp!

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

His scouting experience looks like it were much more fun that mine was...