5.26.2010
Wild Wild West
You know this playground? Let me share with you some things about this playground I didn't know. (click on links to see info source!)
Wild West Jordan Playground, is the largest playground in Utah. The innovative play structure was built by 6,000 community volunteers over a ten-day period.
The playground covers two-thirds of an acre and contains over 12,000 square feet of play surface. The fully-fenced playground is divided into a tot area for two to five year olds and a larger area for five to 12 year olds. The crowning feature is a superstructure (Saltair) which contains 23 stair levels and a two-story curly slide.
The kids can take a drink at the water fountain, cool off with the constantly running mister, take a walk on the wood chip path that weaves in an around the wooden train, boat, or jail, or just sit and relax on one of the many benches provided.
Ideas for the playground were pitched by the committee of volunteers to the children of West Jordan public schools. The children designed the playground. Funds in upwards of $400,000 cash and in-kind donations as well as a land donation from the city culminated in a 10-day barn-raising the spring of 2005 with over 6,000 volunteers working four hour shifts to complete the project.
I had nothing to do with the planning. . .
or construction, but I'm sure glad it was built!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Nice! And to think we have never been over there. Hummmmm..... I guess we should make a point to visit some day this summer.
We love this one too, though there are lots of passages that Aiden can fit in that we can't. I had no idea about the mister. We'll have to look for it next time.
We love that park! It's so great, and there are so many things to keep the kiddos occupied.
We lived in a nearby neighborhood when it was built and our ward was called on to volunteer. I just can't believe it's been 5 years since it was done! Sadly enough, we only went there a couple of times before we moved away.
Well that just makes me want to go play in that park! Fun!!
Cool to know about! I want to go!
Post a Comment