We knew we would be out of town on Shawn's birthday this year so we held a surprise fake birthday for him a few days before we left. And believe you me, he was surprised. Didn't see that coming. Actually my kids were a little upset with me. They thought it was awful that we were NOT planning on celebrating it on the REAL day. Of course I planned on telling Shawn happy birthday on his real day, but no, all the "fun" birthday stuff was getting done early. My kids didn't like it. I continued decorating the house while telling them that when they were little there were several times that daddy was either at school or work (or both) all day on their birthdays and so we just moved their birthdays to the weekend that was closest, usually that was AFTER their birthdays. I explained that, I did that quite a bit when they were all little and they weren't scarred for life from it, in fact they hadn't even realized it. Then I turned around and saw three kids scowling at me...not only am I messing with the birthday "day" powers but I had apparently admitted to an unpardonable sin! Whoa. Just deal! So we finished decorating the house and wrapping the presents, I printed up the cute little "it's your birthday" sign which has his age on it when Emily came up to me and said, "mom--you did this wrong!" "Dad's not 33 he's turning 34!" Pssshhh, whatever child, your dad and I are the same age for half the year, I think I know how old he is. Just as I say that, Shawn walks in the door and we all yell SURPRISE (and he certainly was) The kids quickly mentioned that the "early birthday" was ALL mom's idea--and I then casually asked him if he was 33 years old, to which he replies, "yeah, but in a few day, I'll be 34!" WHAT!!! I hear a little girls voice across the room, "TOLD YA!" (Dang man! --that means I'm going to be turning that old soon! Arughhh)
The perfect t-shirt for Shawn...Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time!
Shawn thinking about the "wish" he's going to make...
I PROMISE, next year we will celebrate your birthday on the correct day! (sheesh, who knew...right?)

2 comments:
That is pretty funny! Poor kids, now they are traumatized lol. I think it is way funny that you forgot his age though. Sometimes I have to stop and think when asked my age.... I guess that is a sign that we are getting old.
Funny. I think I still feel that way, though, about celebrating my birthday ON the day. There's just something magic about that day-- it's the only day of the year that's just YOURS.
I laughed at Shawn's shirt. Perfect.
Post a Comment