10.05.2011

Road trips (1)

(July 14, 2011)

We decided to take a few road trips to get the kids ready for the long drive to Disneyland.  I really think it was a smart thing to do.  We took a weekend and did some serious road trips, the first night in the car we had several crying kids, the next night, not so many...the night after that, they started to learn that they needed to shift their body weight more and to get into a better position every once in a while and they didn't cry at all that last drive!  Hopefully they still remember the lesson when Disneyland rolls around!

We did something kind of crazy (I guess we like doing stuff a little different than most?)  We decided to take the kids on a REALLY long car ride.  We got in the car at 10pm and drove up to my mom's house in Idaho.  I think we got there a little after 1am.  (this is the night most of the kids were having a hard time in the car).  We got up at 4 hours later and drove 2 1/2 hours to Yellowstone.  We got started a little later than we wanted and then we had to investigate a possible car problem.  A piece of wood fell off the truck right in front of us I was so glad it didn't bounce and go through the windshield, but we went right over it and it sounded awful.  Luckily no damage!  We walked around West Yellowstone while Shawn and Bear (did I mention my brother came with us?) checked out the car .   Luckily it didn't take long and they were able to join us, I thought it would be awesome to take a picture of this wooden bear and Uncle Bear, so everyone HAD to pose for the picture even though the sun was glaring in every one's eyes.  I didn't say they had to smile but thanks Wes!

Next we went to Madison Campground.  The place where we ALWAYS went camping when I was younger.  I have SO many found memories here, I always have to stop.  We were so glad that Uncle Bear came with us so we could get an impromptu family photo!
We stopped to have lunch just before we reached the Norris geysers.  The kids had all bought some cheap toys in West Jellystone (not that's not a typo--that's what my dad calls it, in fact I don't know if he says it the right way anymore!) and were playing a hunting game.  I yelled out, Ahhhhh, there's a BEAR!  They all turned on the spot to me pointed at their uncle...then laughing they ran over to capture him with their weapons!  I was laughing the hardest...I know, I think it's probably a lot more funny than anyone else!
Norris Geyser, whoa they sure are stinky!
I love how Mily is starting to "play with the camera"  although we need to set up some lessons with Aunt Trina and Uncle Hazen on posing a good goof-off photo!
Caught this little action, on pure chance.  How cute is that!  Gotta love that big brother--always watching out for others!
Rusty didn't like the Dragon's Mouth too much.  Too bad, it's my favorite geyser.  Especially since when we came here last time the steam/stink about made Mily almost loose it...it was so funny!
Trying to make the long car trips and in between the stops as bearable as possible!
 We got to Old Faithful and had to wait quite a while for the geyser to erupt, we sat through a sudden  afternoon summer-thundershower, it was awesome. 
 
 It was so much fun, I wished we had gotten to see more, but we had only planned it for a day trip so we hopped back in the car and drove all the way back to Grandma's house.  Again we got there in the wee hours of the morning.  The kids struggled a little with finding a comfortable position along with adjusting themselves often enough that their legs don't fall asleep (darn booster seats-anyone know a way to avoid that,  besides just not making them sit in them?).  It was a fun-filled day for sure!


1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

It looks like you guys had a GREAT time...