The Kennecott Copper MINE that is!

One thing that I think is a tragedy is those people who have never gone to visit the sites around SLC but who have lived there their whole lives. I've decided that's not going to happen to my kids...so this summer we're going to be travelling around to all the sites and tourist traps to check them out! One of our first stops...the copper mines! I think these huge, mega, dump trucks that they use, are amazing!

Check out the size of the full-sized pick-up trucks next to those monsters . I wish they would park one up by the visitor center and not just a tire....but it's still cool!

Although it's not quite as entertaining when mom wants a picture and no matter what side your standing on the sun is in your eyes (note to self: don't go at noon when sun is directly over head!)

I always get blown away by there size of this place...it's HUGE!

There's are not a lot of things to do when you go up there: look down into a big hole, pay a quarter to look down into a big hole!

Walk around the visitor center and wish you had a geology degree so some of the stuff you read would make a little more sense...watch a 20 minute video that I think is quite entertaining and informative....although I do like stuff like that! Did you know that picking up a rock on the side of the road up there (Prohibited, by the way) contains only like 7% copper...doesn't really sound worth while to mine it. But because I watched the video I know that they have an amazing process in which they make it worth while. I also learned something that I didn't know before, the medals they used at the 2002 Salt Lake City winter Olympics...came from Kennecott! How did I not know that at the time?
It was pretty cool, the kids enjoyed it and now they can say they've been there. Although I think we'll have to take them up a few more times since I doubt Rusty is going to remember this trip!
It cost $5 for a normal sized vehicle to get through the gate, the pass is good for all day...so you could come back if you wanted to! Try not to go at noon if you want to get good photo's and also they kick you out when they do blasting so hopefully you don't go up when they start doing that. Although it they do kick you out you can just go south a few miles to the Wild Horse refuge place. It wasn't all that interesting, and there were only like 3 parking spots...that were taken, but there were a lot of horses!
So since I'm not from here I'm sure I am missing some great sites that I don't even know about...so if you're from the SLC area (or visit often), tell me some of the fun things you like to do around here!
2 comments:
I'll share if you share :) Okay so I started to type them all here lol but there are so many details for inexpensive times to go, etc. We're trying to keep things cheap to save for Disneyland :) I'll get you an e-mail, although I'm sure you've done them all at least 1-2...but just in case you haven't.
I'm probably guilty! I grew up here, and I never do anything in Utah...I should, though. sigh. You should probably forward me that list...I'll try and redeem myself!
Post a Comment