6.08.2011

Handy Spandy

We had a Nursery Rhyme day for Wesley's last day of school.  They did this last year for Mily's class too, although they were transferred to a different school while there's was being remodeled.   I asked Wesley what Rhyme he was going to present, he had a few that he had memorized, but knowing he learned them all at school I was afraid that there would be a lot of kids doing the same one.  (I was right) So we grabbed our book of nursery rhymes and we happened to fall in love with the first one we read.  Mom  had a ton of ideas to add some props to it and so we copied it and put it on the fridge (so Wesley could read it every time he was in the kitchen).  He had it memorized in about 4 days! 

We went to the dollar store and found some items that we could turn into props (thanks to the creative mind of Shawn!)--they turned out great!  We grabbed some suspenders from our pioneer closet and socks from Josh's drawer and we were ready to go!

I have to tell you, we had worked with him actually hopping when he said, hop hop hop.  You can tell that he hesitates just before he says it, wondering if he should actually jump on the counter!  I think he made a wise decision, we didn't know he would be up there!

Such a cute idea.  The kids loved that they got to stand on the counter and wear the teachers microphone!
 Wesley accepting one of his two awards from his teacher that he earned this year!
 Aren't the props so cute!  Plumb cake and sugar candy!
 And such a styling outfit!  We copied the picture of the kid in the book as best we could. All the way down to the tall white socks reaching his knees! 
After the program I stopped Wesley just before he passed through the threshold of his kindergarten door.  I told him that when he walked out that door that he would no longer be a kindergartner, he'd become a first grader.  He hesitated for half a second and then proudly walked through the door.  Proud to be a first grader!  And so excited about the teacher Wes will have next.  She was Mily's teacher this year and she is AWESOME!

Good Bye Kindergarten!

No comments: