Pinewood Derby!Okay first of all if I need to use a hammer, screwdriver, saw or any other type of tool to create something, it's not going to turn out well. I've known this all my life...so I don't know what I was thinking. But, I helped Josh make his pine wood derby car this year.
The poor kid.
We were able to do everything pretty well, that is until it came time to pick up a hammer to pound in those darn wheels. I made Josh try it a few times, the wheels went crooked...I tried a few times, the wheels went crooked...Gggrrrr! Finally after a few tears of frustration from mom we walked down to the cub masters house and he ever so sweetly pulled the wheels out and fixed them! Thank YOU Brother Hyde!!!
Can you guess what design Josh wanted to do this year? I was so proud of him, besides having to buy the block of wood pre-cut (...remember I don't do saw's) he designed and painted his car by himself.
Too cute!
Doesn't he look like the cutest little crab car you've ever seen?
This year we got to start the evening off with a bite to eat.
Being that I am one of the leader for cub scouts I felt like I could butt-in and decorate a little more than they are use to. Here is the parking lot I set up to show case all the cars.
And here is a few of the car's ready for some action.(Josh's car is far right) I loved Joseph's car, I think his dad who is currently in Iraq, would be proud!
Last year, the car Josh and his dad made, actually got 3rd place. Yeah, I already told Josh that we'd be lucky if the car got to the end of the race track (although now that Bro. Hyde fixed the wheels it would at least do that). I tried to warn him that he might come in last, little did I know!
Here is Josh's car set up on the track for his first run. . . . which came in dead last.
And this is the picture of his second race and his car coming in last place, again.
Two runs, both last place and the kid was out. I felt really bad, he was a little bummed about it.
Winning isn't everything and we did have that little talk, but we had a few other boys in similar situations and I think we may have to re-look at how the race gets done so that some of these cars can see a little more track time. Cause darn it we spend DAYS and DAYS on that car, and for it to only go down the track twice was a little disappointing.
Anyway, I was also in charge of the trophies and here is what I came up with this year!
Yes I made them, and it cost $11 for all four of them. And it was only that expensive because I bought wood that was pre-cut and pre-sanded! I love Roberts Crafts.
I think they turned out pretty cute. I thought about painting them but I decided that I like the fact that the boys can tell it's a block of wood, just like their cars were a few weeks ago! My nephew gave me the idea of the Sportsmanship award. He said that's what he won in his Pack last month, and it was covered it candy! I thought it was a fantastic idea to promote some good sports!
We were on the look out for the cub scout with the best sportsmanship and it didn't talk long to find him! (certainly wasn't Josh!) I was so impressed with this young man, his car was one of the first ones out but instead of sitting and pouting like a few other boys I know, he was at every race always giving high fives to all the boys! Such a great attitude! It turns out that I got to present the awards to the boys and so I don't have any pictures of our winners but this is what the trophy table looked like.
Well, I was in a hurry. Good enough though right?
The day of the race was crazy, I had been going from early in the morning until the very last minute before it started and then all the way through out the night. Shawn had come and helped with the kids during the race, but then he had to leave because of a singing engagement--which he was late for. He also ended up taking the van, so after we helped cleaned up the building a little the kids and I grabbed our stuff, (no coats, oops, bad mom!) we walked home. Luckily it wasn't too cold, but by the time I got home I was EXHAUSTED! So glad it's over! Having it be successful is great, but having it over...is much better!
Good-bye Pinewood Derby...until next year.
The poor kid.
We were able to do everything pretty well, that is until it came time to pick up a hammer to pound in those darn wheels. I made Josh try it a few times, the wheels went crooked...I tried a few times, the wheels went crooked...Gggrrrr! Finally after a few tears of frustration from mom we walked down to the cub masters house and he ever so sweetly pulled the wheels out and fixed them! Thank YOU Brother Hyde!!!
Can you guess what design Josh wanted to do this year? I was so proud of him, besides having to buy the block of wood pre-cut (...remember I don't do saw's) he designed and painted his car by himself.
Too cute!
Doesn't he look like the cutest little crab car you've ever seen?
This year we got to start the evening off with a bite to eat.
Being that I am one of the leader for cub scouts I felt like I could butt-in and decorate a little more than they are use to. Here is the parking lot I set up to show case all the cars.
And here is a few of the car's ready for some action.(Josh's car is far right) I loved Joseph's car, I think his dad who is currently in Iraq, would be proud!
Last year, the car Josh and his dad made, actually got 3rd place. Yeah, I already told Josh that we'd be lucky if the car got to the end of the race track (although now that Bro. Hyde fixed the wheels it would at least do that). I tried to warn him that he might come in last, little did I know!
Here is Josh's car set up on the track for his first run. . . . which came in dead last.
And this is the picture of his second race and his car coming in last place, again.
Two runs, both last place and the kid was out. I felt really bad, he was a little bummed about it.
Winning isn't everything and we did have that little talk, but we had a few other boys in similar situations and I think we may have to re-look at how the race gets done so that some of these cars can see a little more track time. Cause darn it we spend DAYS and DAYS on that car, and for it to only go down the track twice was a little disappointing.
Anyway, I was also in charge of the trophies and here is what I came up with this year!
Yes I made them, and it cost $11 for all four of them. And it was only that expensive because I bought wood that was pre-cut and pre-sanded! I love Roberts Crafts.
I think they turned out pretty cute. I thought about painting them but I decided that I like the fact that the boys can tell it's a block of wood, just like their cars were a few weeks ago! My nephew gave me the idea of the Sportsmanship award. He said that's what he won in his Pack last month, and it was covered it candy! I thought it was a fantastic idea to promote some good sports!
We were on the look out for the cub scout with the best sportsmanship and it didn't talk long to find him! (certainly wasn't Josh!) I was so impressed with this young man, his car was one of the first ones out but instead of sitting and pouting like a few other boys I know, he was at every race always giving high fives to all the boys! Such a great attitude! It turns out that I got to present the awards to the boys and so I don't have any pictures of our winners but this is what the trophy table looked like.
Well, I was in a hurry. Good enough though right?
The day of the race was crazy, I had been going from early in the morning until the very last minute before it started and then all the way through out the night. Shawn had come and helped with the kids during the race, but then he had to leave because of a singing engagement--which he was late for. He also ended up taking the van, so after we helped cleaned up the building a little the kids and I grabbed our stuff, (no coats, oops, bad mom!) we walked home. Luckily it wasn't too cold, but by the time I got home I was EXHAUSTED! So glad it's over! Having it be successful is great, but having it over...is much better!
Good-bye Pinewood Derby...until next year.








3 comments:
Wow, impressive, Rhoda! Love the trophies, and just adore that cute crabb derby!! Haha - so creative!
Nice blog Rhoda - I added some facebook pics out there and tagged you there.
Great car...
I remember my first PWD and my car came in 3rd every time. After that one of the dads told us about using graphite in the wheels.
If only I'd known that sooner because my car started beating them all in the 'afterward' fun races.
Curses...
Post a Comment