12.22.2010

Christmas Magic: it SMELLS like Christmas!

Along with the sights and sounds of the Christmas season also comes the smells. Growing up we had a wood burning stove to heat the entire house.(Brr) If you've ever visited anywhere that has one of these as their primary means of heat, you'd know that there is a distinct smell about them. I remember waking up some mornings knowing that my dad was down stairs stoking the fire. When that started happening on a regular bases, It was a sign that Christmas would be coming. Once or twice a week, part of the kids chores was to bring in wood for the fire place. I remember sometimes it would be snowing like crazy and we would take our time getting our 10 pieces of wood from the wood stack so we could play in the snow a little. Sometimes it would be bitter cold and the wood was frozen under a pile of snow, we would freeze trying to break off a few pieces of wood, then hurry inside, where dad would lay a towel to let the wood dry out. We even had coal that we would burn, but I never liked the stuff. Even though it would burn hotter and keep us warmer, having coal was a sign of being bad...right? I remember one year where Santa put coal in my brother Hazen's stocking....or maybe everyone got a piece, I can't remember for sure, but I know we got a kick out of burning THAT coal!

The other smell of Christmas is that of a REAL Christmas pine tree. Oh blessings! THAT is an amazing smell, especially with a wood burning stove in the distance. I remember ever time we would come into the house after school, that smell would be the first thing to hit us as we walked in the door. And every time that happened I would be reminded of how many days until Christmas...I just couldn't wait! For more years than I care to admit, I have not been blessed to have that smell in my home. My kids think I'm strange that every year I will go right up to the Christmas trees outside the grocery store and stick my nose right into them and then start giggling! Maybe one of these year I will get a real one, just for old times sake!

Unfortunately for my kids, they don't have either of these smells...I have compensated the best I can with candles and such. I just want my kids to experience it all! You know? Magical Christmas memories are so important!
One more quick memory that really has nothing to do with smells at all but I was reminded of it because of the story of firewood chores! Christmas programs on TV! My dad would tell us a week in advance about a certain Christmas movie that would be coming on TV. He always made sure that we didn't miss it! One time in particular we were still eating dinner when we heard dad yell from downstairs..."CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS IS ON TV!" It was as if a bomb had exploded, the kitchen was evacuated within seconds and I just remember giggling as all of us little kids raced down the stairs pushing each other as we went. Dad would even sit through most of the movie with us! Although almost like clock work as soon as the program was over we would be blinded by the light being turned on, the TV being switched off and our parents telling us to go bring in the firewood (child labor laws??? jk) Oh, I also remember laying down on the floor of the living room, looking at the Christmas tree lights and listening to "twas the night before Christmas" on the old record player! ♫"Even a miracle needs a hand!" ♫ Ah, good times!
Yes, I realize the tree in the picture above is fake, but it was a great shot with a wood burning stove behind it!

2 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

There is something about those Christmassy smells, isn't there?

That's why I buy the pine spray…I fake myself out every time.

Tiffany McAlister said...

You should pick up a real pine wreath every year! :D The real tree...we did one last year. It smelled GREAT, but OH, THE MESS!! A wreath would be just right...