
I remember when I was little we had the most beautiful, small, white, ceramic Christmas tree. (Very similar to the one pictured above) I loved putting it up every year, it was by far my most favorite decoration I can remember growing up. In the evening when it would get dark I would sit on the chair closest to this small tree and stare at the colors cast onto the wall. There is something magical about Christmas lights for me. They are one of those symbols or signs of Christmas. I love it when we drive through a neighborhood and there are Christmas lights up on the houses...they don't have to be crazy and cover every inch of their house, just a strand or two on the front porch or on the bush...I really appreciate the effort to brighten things up!
Although for traditions sake every December 11th we take a drive as a family and go look at some amazing light displays.
This one is the house next to Christmas Utah! The next one is Christmas Utah...the famous "set to music" light display! This year they had talking trees!
Every once in a while you could see Santa through the window! Amazing!
This is the house that basically started the Dec 11th tradition, we went looking for THIS house! Funny part is that we later moved into this neighborhood and got to know these people...amazing family they are!
More amazing people!
This is a house in our last neighborhood. Wow! The next three pictures are of this same house. Just different angles!

Our last stop was the "T'was the Night Before Christmas" lane. They have pieces of the story on huge signs set in every ones front yard! Such a cute idea! This year Santa was even passing out candy canes at the end of the street!
This one is the house next to Christmas Utah! The next one is Christmas Utah...the famous "set to music" light display! This year they had talking trees!
Every once in a while you could see Santa through the window! Amazing!
This is the house that basically started the Dec 11th tradition, we went looking for THIS house! Funny part is that we later moved into this neighborhood and got to know these people...amazing family they are!
More amazing people!
This is a house in our last neighborhood. Wow! The next three pictures are of this same house. Just different angles!

Our last stop was the "T'was the Night Before Christmas" lane. They have pieces of the story on huge signs set in every ones front yard! Such a cute idea! This year Santa was even passing out candy canes at the end of the street!
This is a very similar tradition to the one I had growing up! Although we would go on Christmas Eve and spend hours driving through neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights! I know this is where I got my passion for Christmas lights! Dad would slow down and even stop in front of someones home and point out some of the finer details we may have missed! I remember dad always telling us to keep a look out for Rudolf's red nose in the sky...I would always get so excited when I saw it...until I realized it was blinking and wasn't moving! After a while of driving around we would be begging daddy to let us go home so we could get to bed....we didn't want to chance missing Santa!
The other part of Christmas magic that goes hand in hand with lights...is music. Christmas music that is. I have a playlist of the classics that I will play over and over (even in July, much to Shawn's disappointment). You add that to some light gazing and you've got yourself in the Christmas spirit!
And honestly, If I'm going to talk about the lights and music then the next part of Christmas magic is the "action" it brings. The specific combination of lights and music reminds me when my little family walked around caroling in our neighborhood while dropping off neighbor gifts. I love that my kids love to give! Although my kids preferred method is to put something on a neighbors porch, knock and then run like the dickens before the door gets opened. I love all the stories about service this time of year, the extra well behaved kids...hoping to get on Santa's nice list, the gift giving, the thoughtfulness is truly what Christmas is about. By Christmas day our kitchen counter is always full of our neighbors best goodies and our tree is brimming with presents...all stuff that was given in love.

1 comment:
Totally agree with you on loving the lights!!! Those last two houses were crazy! (In an awesome way.) Maybe I'll have to get a map from you on where they are :)
It was always fun growing up across from the "Grizwalds" :) And you're sweet to post my parents place, haha. :) So fun!! I love Christmas!
Post a Comment