Well I hope everyone takes the opportunity sometime this season to do a service project of sorts. It's a great way to feel the true meaning of Christmas and you never know what you might get out of it! God Bless the WJFP!
12.17.2009
Operation cover up
For part of our Family Christmas party we decided to donate to Operation "cover-up" through the local Fire department. We went through the house and grabbed all of our old coats and hats and piled them together. Then at the Christmas party last week my family dropped off their clothing exchange and we went through all of that and pulled out all that winter wear.
These are white kitchen bags and Black LEAF bags filled to the brim and very heavy. If I were to guess I'd say we had more than 30 coats, jackets, thermal undies, hats, gloves and scarves of all sizes.
Then this past Tuesday morning my little family took it over to the Fire department.
When we walked in with all our bags the lady was pretty shocked. I asked her if I could get a picture of my kids with the bags we were donating and she said "hold on, we'll see if one of the fire fighters can come down." Okay, well that's cool too. So she picks up her phone and I hear her telling someone how much stuff we just brought and a few minutes later one of the firemen appeared in the doorway. I expected to just have him smile for a picture, wave and then get back to his work, but instead he looked at the bags, told us how cool it was then said, "Come on guys lets go check out the trucks!"
So we got a personal tour of the fire department! The kids were thrilled...they already were feeling pretty good because they knew they were doing something that is really going to help other people and then bonus, they also got to go check out the fire trucks! We were in the garage when the ambulance pulled up...sacred me to death. The Paramedics jumped out and jogged over to visit with us. Evey time we met someone knew the fireman giving us the tour would tell them how much stuff we had just donated...they were sure making my kids feel special. Josh started telling them that he had taken a ride in an ambulance a few months ago. They were so cute with him as he told his story, bunch a great guys!
We also got to walk through their living quarters. As we walked in, a very strong smell of bacon hit us. One of the other firemen was walking past at the time and said, "I know it smells like bacon...but I want you to know we usually don't eat like that!" Apparently the chiefs cook dinner for their crews about once a year...usually around Christmas and they go all out. That just happen to be the day. So funny.
Well I hope everyone takes the opportunity sometime this season to do a service project of sorts. It's a great way to feel the true meaning of Christmas and you never know what you might get out of it! God Bless the WJFP!
Well I hope everyone takes the opportunity sometime this season to do a service project of sorts. It's a great way to feel the true meaning of Christmas and you never know what you might get out of it! God Bless the WJFP!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment