Have you ever seen a Turkey?
11.24.2009
Pilgrim Party!
I'm a part of a Neighborhood joy school group (again! ☻). This month my turn to teach happen to fall on the last week before Thanksgiving and we were scheduled to throw a thanksgiving party. And those who know me, know how much I LOVE throwing parties for little 3 & 4 year old kids! (For those who don't know me all that well...that was NOT sarcastic...I really do love it!☻) So first of all...I was dressed from head to foot in my pioneer outfit from trek. I figured the kids didn't know any better and I told them I was dressed up like a pilgrim! I had the kids spell bound with the story of the First thanksgiving and had made them pilgrim hats to wear. We imagined we were on the Mayflower and that we had landed on Plymouth Rock! We pretended to make friends with the Indians (Mily and Rusty) and they taught us how to plant corn and wheat...in my living room carpet! When everything was grown and harvested we took it all to the kitchen to prepare a thanksgiving feast. We harvested the potatoes right out of the freezer, threw salt on them and put them in the oven (French Fries) then we grabbed our corn and put it in the Microwave (popcorn). While we were doing this, one of the little boys, scream..."I'll go shoot the turkey!" then he went running into my front room. The other boys ran along too and I could hear them running around shooting up the place. Bang, bang! Then all the sudden they screamed...."we got one, we got one!" and they run back in carrying my stuffed turkey that was on top of my piano! I was laughing so hard...totally not part of the plan, but it was perfect!
So we took the turkey and made turkey rolls. (Lunch meat, rolled up). I had planned to make pumpkin cookies next, but the night before I realized I didn't have any chocolate chips! So we frosted some sugar cookies that I had left over from cub scouts! We also grabbed our apples and squeezed them right out of the carton into our cups (apple juice). While the food was cooking we took a short break and played hot-turkey and sang the classic Thanksgiving song!
When the food was all cooked they went running into the kitchen and sat down at the table. I came in and asked them what they thought they were doing at the table???....pilgrims don't just sit around waiting to be served...get up and get the dinner on the table! Each kid had something to bring to the table and share with their friends.
As they sat around eating their feast we talked about the stuff that we were thankful for. I was pretty impressed with some of the answers! Stuff like, their preschool teacher (that kid gets brownie points!), pretty dresses (more points, since she was looking at my dress when she said it!) and other silly things too, like the clock! Gotta be thankful for that...I wouldn't be on time much to anything!
After our feast was done I had the kids make their very own turkey...it turned out really cute. Love this picture makes me giggle every time!
I don't think I've had a kids party that was so much fun! Next we are doing a Nativity play for Christmas time! Yeah...fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Man, you are a fun teacher. I bet they are all thankful for you. You are awsome and you have the best ideas.
I am sooooo jealous! You and your great ideas...I miss them all! :) It looks like you had a ton of fun...I am thankful for you too...so should they be!!! Can't wait to hear about the Nativity one...
P.S. Olie keeps asking when he can visit "Sister Rhoda Crabb"? Not sure what your schedule is anymore...just let me know...would love to plan something with all the kids!!!!
Sooo cute!!! And such a great idea. You can tell the kiddos had a great time!
Post a Comment