8.14.2009

Watermelon Ice Cream!

Well I found this recipe on one of the blogs that I stalk. I was pointed toward THIS blog when I was starting my own blog and kept asking my friend how to do stuff or what to do and she told me to check out Cara's blog for some advice on starting a blog and how to keep it safe. For example...try to right click on my page? (hopefully it worked and you weren't able to do it) well I learned that from her--or she directed me to a place where I could dis-activate that. It doesn't stop someone from stealing photo's from my page...but it hampers it a bit!☻ Anyway she had a cute recipe for this perfect summertime dessert. Sorry I can't remember exactly where it was on her site...I couldn't find it (she posted it last year) So I decided that I would re-post the recipe.

Watermelon Ice Cream
1/2 Gallon Lime Sherbet (I found a tub that was 64 oz)
1/2 Gallon Raspberry Sherbet (They were at Walmart)
1/4 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream (I used French vanilla, don't do that, it turned out more yellow)
1 Cup Mini chocolate chips

First you need to have a set of nesting bowls...mine got ruined and so I had to buy another set ($9.99). Shawn thought I was crazy for buying a new set of bowls just so I could do this recipe...but you guys understand--right? Anyway, tangent. You need to line the biggest bowl with plastic wrap. Then find another big bowl and take the lime sherbet and mix it until it's creamy...either by hand or with a hand mixer. I ended up doing by hand because my hand mixer wasn't powerful enough to do it--it wasn't too bad. Then you spoon in the lime sherbet evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the bowl. Don't go too high on the sides, but also make sure there isn't a ton of ice cream on the very bottom of the bowl. Then grab the next size nesting bowl...line the OUTSIDE with plastic wrap and then push the bowl into the lime sherbet. Try to make sure it's as even as possible. Leave the bowl inside the sherbet and put it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. When you take it out of the freezer you'll need to use some hot water to get the smaller bowl to come out. Mix your vanilla ice cream until it's creamy and again spoon it evenly into the bottom and sides of the lime sherbet...this time make sure it goes up on the sides a little higher or use the other next smaller size of nesting bowl. This is where I had a good idea to take pictures of the process! (Just make sure to line the outside of the bowl with plastic liner...I learned the hard way!)
Push the bowl down into ice cream and freeze it again for another 30-45 minutes. Again you may need to poor some hot water into the bowl to get it to come out. Then grab the Raspberry sherbet and mix until creamy. Here is where you grab your mini chocolate chips and mix them in...I think I put in about 1 cup, but I would start with a 1/2 cup and go from there...I'm not a big fan of chocolate chips in my ice cream anyway but it would look silly if you put too many in! Once you're happy with the "chocolate seeds" spoon in the ice cream into the middle of the ice cream mold. I had used so much plastic wrap on the bottom bowl that I was able to pull it up over the entire bowl once I was finished. I also tried to make the top completely even...it helps when cutting it for it not to be too bumpy. Then I put it back into the freezer for about 6-7 hours (over night would be great...if you remember to do it ahead of time!) Once we were ready for dessert I took it out of the freezer unwrapped the plastic turned the bowl over onto a cutting board and it plopped right out. Finish pulling the wrap off, take a sharp long knife (just like cutting a real watermelon) and start cutting into 1"-2"strips. Unfortunately I forgot my camera when I went to the BBQ...which was really sad because my aunt, uncle, cousin and her kids from California were there and it's been a LONG time since I've seen them. So these other pictures were taken this morning with the left overs. Then cut the strips into thirds. ...and enjoy!It was fun, easy and cute! The kids like ice cream anyway. I hope you get a chance to use it!

2 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I used to make this for my class years ago; I learned to make it while watching an episode of Zoom on PBS about a million years ago...

Tastes good too.

Unknown said...

This is super cute. Now if i just had the patience to make it. ;)