11.21.2008

I'm Thankful for...

Music.

Those who know me best also know that I'm not blessed with much musical talent. But regardless, I love music. When I was first called to be the primary chorister I thought the bishopric was simply desperate for someone to fill that position (they very well may have been given my lack of musical knowledge and abilities! -although Shawn won't admit to that!) Now I've decided that it was a blessing for me to not only be forced to learn more about music but also the opportunity to have it be a constant part of my week. There are still those days that I stand up in primary and I feel like all the adults are cringing...I would sum up my musical ability this way (Psalms 100:1)! On the other hand, my husbands side of the family are musically brilliant...ALL of them (it's not fair!). Well, I've been searching for a reason to ask my little niece to come sing for my primary...and I've finally found one. I recently found a song called "Could I Hold the Baby" by Rachel Mecham Goates. It was an award winning submission in the 1998 LDS music competition thingy (or maybe just a runner up, but anyway!). It is a very simple but cute Christmas song and it is even more darling being sung by a 10 year old girl. I got a little preview of it today, she came over and sang it for me....and it is FAB!!! I can't wait to see the reactions when she sings this.

Here are just a few of the words to the song:

It's Christmas Eve, I'm tucked in bed,
I'm snug and warm, my prayers are said.
I start to think about the first Christmas night.
The manger warm, the baby fair,
the star that led the shepherds there
and what I'd say to Mary as she smiled
at the little Christ child.

Could I hold the baby? Will he smile at me?
Dose he know why he is born and what is life will be.
Could I hold the baby and tell him of my love?
How glad I am that Jesus Christ was send from heaven above.
BTW the song has not been published...yet. So if you'd like a copy of the music for "church or home use" let me know!

Music is an essential part of our church meetings. It invites the Spirit of the Lord, and it often does this quicker than anything else we may do. President J. Reuben Clark Jr. said "we get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer" (Conf. Report Oct '36 pg 111)


Remember to make a joyful noise!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I hadn't heard that song, the lyrics are beautiful. I'm thankful for music too, it's a blessing indeed!

Steph H said...

That's fun that you're the primary chorister. I teach sunbeams and I was just thinking yesterday how great our chorister is. She makes singing time so fun and keeps the kids engaged and they learn the songs so well. It's a tough calling (I was in primary in my last ward and that chorister was not quite as good). So good luck to you! I'm sure you make it great!