10.10.2008

Lock down

My son's school had a real lock down yesterday. When I went to pick up my car pool kids, one of them jumped in the front seat and before I had a chance to say hi, he said "Guess what, we had a lock down today!" Now last year they had a mock lock down and I was there just before it started. So I just smiled and asked if there was another drill like last year. "No, it was a real one!" This being a typical 10 year old boy I still was weary of his answer. But when he started telling stories like the teachers grabbing kids from the hallway and then locking doors and sticking cardboard in all the windows, it peaked my interest. So...why did you have a lock down today? "Because there was a man with a gun and there were cops all over the place!" From the back seat my son said, "yeah we saw the cops walking around the school before my teacher had time to get the cardboard in the window." Now, I'm not sure it was as exciting as they kids made it sound, but apparently the lock down scared them or at least really entertained them real good for two hours. At some point Josh said that the bad guy was trying to get into their class room...but it turns out that it was the principle walking around checking to make sure every door was locked. I was at home and noticed that there was helicopters over head that just kept circling. I brought all my kids outside to look at the them, then I remembered that the only time I've seen helicopters do this is when there was a landslide nearby and when there was a man hunt at our apartments (when I first moved here). So I decided to take the kids back inside...just in case. I was going to go pull up the news link since I could recognize a news helicopter, but I got distracted and never looked. Then I forgot about it until the ride home from school. Although I'm sort of glad I didn't know that Josh's school went into a lock down, because I would have been freaking out the whole time. Turns out there was no man with gun but a murder victim found less than a half a mile from the school. I think they were right to lock it down and have cops patrolling the area, better be safe than sorry...but man it sure scared some of those kids! Who would have thought? Welcome to Ghetto Land!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my word, thank goodness everyone was safe! Yet another reason I'm seriously considering homeschooling my chidren.

Michelle said...

BTW, our anniversary is on the 25th. ;)

Rhoda said...

caught that did ya? Well Happy early anniversary!

Liz Reichert said...

I think it is great that your school was so on the ball. That corn maze is 8800 s. 4000 W. I am going to take my kids to Gardener Village this week while the kids are out for UEA maybe we should get a group together to go if you want.

Kelly Jean said...

Scary!! Wow, glad no one got hurt. (Well, besides the murder victim... sad.)

Anonymous said...

Craziness! Btw... Davis County had like ZERO murders last year so if you are looking for a new home there are a few nice neighborhoods this way! ;)

Steph H said...

That is scary. It's great the school had a plan in place. I think that's the best thing anyone can do is plan for the best way to cope if something like that ever happens (lock doors, hide windows). Unfortunately even if kids aren't in schools shootings are still happening at malls and parks and everywhere else. We could drive ourselves crazy with worry. I laughed at the change from "look at the cool helicopters" to "uh-oh, there might be a problem. back inside!"