10.06.2008
Family CAR Evening.
I told the kids to get their shoes and seat belts on and when they asked why, I told them "it's family home evening!" After they realized that mom and dad weren't going to give out any more info, they piled in the car. As we got in and we were pulling out of the drive way we asked Wesley what our opening song was (he was in charge of the singing) then afterward Dad gave the opening prayer while we were stopped at a stop light. We had our family meeting and discussed our schedule for the week, and then dad shared a scripture. The lesson (I was in charge of the lesson today) was based on Elder Bednars talk about prayer. As a family, we thought of a list of things that we were thankful for and I wrote them on paper pumpkin die cuts. I told the kids we would post them around the house when we got home, so that we could remember how thankful we are for our blessings. I told them when we pray we always need to think about our day and 'pick' out the blessings (pumpkins) and thank our Heavenly Father for them.
Then we arrived at the pumpkin patch and 'picked out pumpkins'! I thought it was very clever indeed, especially throwing it together last minute like I did. This is the first year that dad has ever gone with us to the pumpkin patch we usually get a preschool group together and go during the day. So it was great family fun time. Although I should have thought it through better, the kids were in flip flops and it had rained pretty good this past weekend. We searched high and low and we found the perfect pumpkins...a great big giant one, a
tall skinny one and a squatty round one. Then we got back into the car and continued on with our FHE. During singing time we looked back at Wes and he said "look i'm con-ducked-ing!' as he was
waving his had around in the back of the car. Totally cute! We practiced the Article of Faith that Josh is working on for primary and then we had the closing prayer (
but first Josh made sure that dad was NOT going to close his eyes since he was still driving!) Then for dessert Mily surprised the boys by telling them we were stopping at Arctic Circle (where the good stuff is!) for ice cream. Well that's one way to mix it up a bit. Our kids were pretty excited about having family home evening in the car. Here is a totally cute picture of the pumpkin patch (90th So. 22nd West).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Love it!! Such a great idea, I can't wait to use it someday!!
I love that you do so many fun family activities.... and I'm still laughing about the "bum" pumpkin!
That's a great idea. And thanks for including the pumpkin patch's address-- I'm always wondering where people are finding places like this in the city. What a fun family you are.
Post a Comment