Do you remember the cake we helped Josh make last year for his Blue and Gold banquet? What?...I didn't blog about that? [Gasp-sputter-inhale] Whoa, I have no idea how that happened...what was I thinking? Well here is a picture of last years cake.
2010 Blue and Gold
The theme was based around the 100th year of BSA! So Joshua picked a present cake...I thought he and dad (mostly dad) did a great job!
Blue and Gold 2011
This year we didn't have a set theme for the cakes...we were doing a luau but they didn't care if the cakes matched. They said the boys could do anything they wanted, Joshua changed his mind a few times about what cake he wanted to make. At first it was a kitty litter cake, then he switched to a temple cake, then he waffled between the two. So while he was at school one day I looked up how to make a temple cake and found one that looked crazy hard and time consuming...although they had ideas to make it more simple. One idea was to use rice krispies for the build-up, up to the spires so it wouldn't be too heavy. When Josh got home from school I showed him the cake and he thought it would be a great idea, especially to do the whole thing out of rice krispie treats! Yes, that makes it much easier. So he actually did quite a bit of the work by himself this year...well he did something at every part by himself. Getting a 9 year old to stay focused enough to make 4 batches of rice krispie treats, not to mention stack and mold and frost each layer-- was pretty challenging. But Josh did help out quite a bit!
This year we didn't have a set theme for the cakes...we were doing a luau but they didn't care if the cakes matched. They said the boys could do anything they wanted, Joshua changed his mind a few times about what cake he wanted to make. At first it was a kitty litter cake, then he switched to a temple cake, then he waffled between the two. So while he was at school one day I looked up how to make a temple cake and found one that looked crazy hard and time consuming...although they had ideas to make it more simple. One idea was to use rice krispies for the build-up, up to the spires so it wouldn't be too heavy. When Josh got home from school I showed him the cake and he thought it would be a great idea, especially to do the whole thing out of rice krispie treats! Yes, that makes it much easier. So he actually did quite a bit of the work by himself this year...well he did something at every part by himself. Getting a 9 year old to stay focused enough to make 4 batches of rice krispie treats, not to mention stack and mold and frost each layer-- was pretty challenging. But Josh did help out quite a bit!
The finished product.
You can't tell from the smirk, but he's quite proud of himself!So here are all the cakes that were brought in by our cubs for the banquet:
I have to admit...I loved "Daniels Cake!" I was laughing pretty hard when I saw it and asked Daniel about it. He said, they had to run to the store and buy one because something didn't "turn out right!" Awesome!
Then we were entertained by the cutest family. If I'm understanding right they are all sisters and cousins. AMAZING! I can't believe how well they dance...it was so neat! I love stuff like this anyway.
Then they had a few more numbers including a duet which was fantastic...so pretty! Then they taught the boys how to do the Haka, the boys totally got into it! What a great program.
Turned out to be a great night for all who came! Gotta love the BSA.
Then we were entertained by the cutest family. If I'm understanding right they are all sisters and cousins. AMAZING! I can't believe how well they dance...it was so neat! I love stuff like this anyway.
Then they had a few more numbers including a duet which was fantastic...so pretty! Then they taught the boys how to do the Haka, the boys totally got into it! What a great program.
Turned out to be a great night for all who came! Gotta love the BSA.
BTW~I think I figured out what happened to my blue and gold pictures from last year. I knew I remembered uploading them...apparently I posted them on face book and not on my blog! Duh!

2 comments:
The temple cake is awesome! And I remember seeing last years cake...and I'm not on facebook. Are you sure you didn't blog it? Maybe I saw an ACTUAL picture in print...hmmm.
Looks like a fun program! :D
The cake looks awesome!! And the whole thing out of rice krispies? That sounds so good.
Post a Comment