Well really dinner pancakes are all my kids know. Very rarely do I make a hot breakfast for my family! (I know, I'm horrible!) When we do have dinner pancakes we usually have time to play around with them. Lately my kids expect something "MORE" when we have dinner pancakes. So a few nights ago when I was mixing up some batter, Mily and Wes walked into the kitchen and started arguing about what color I needed to change it to. So I decided to make them both happy, I split it in two and did pink and blue. Well Josh walked in a few minutes later and realized that both Mily and Wes got to pick a color and for heaven sakes that's not FAIR. Because you know as mothers we are so concerned with fairness...well darn it, sometimes I am. So I grabbed some blue batter out and added some yellow to get Josh's favorite color....green. Then of course they were saying how easy it would be to make purple, just add some of the blue and pink...so I got another bowl and did that. Well if dad gets his favorite color then I certainly am going to have mine. I grabbed some of Mily's pink batter and made it orange. Then lo and behold Rusty walks in! Now Rusty didn't even care what color the batter was, he was hungry and wanted mommy to stop playing with the batter and start cooking it already...but the "other kids" were very concerned that Rusty didn't have his own color. So I looked at the colors and figured there were two missing...red and yellow, so I asked Rusty what color he wanted between those two and he chose yellow. Not a big surprise really...he seems to like that color since it is the only one he has memorized right now. But then I realized that I couldn't add yellow to anything and get a pure yellow...so I had to make more batter real quick...so getting out of hand...at least that's what Shawn was thinking at this point as he was busy making the bacon and eggs!
Finally the time had come to start making our colorful pancakes. 
I made pretty small pancakes of all the different colors. That way the kids could get to try all the colors (you know, cause they taste different or something!).
Then I made some bigger ones for the bigger people (no, it's not a fat joke...Shawn always asks!) I even made a multi-colored pancake and we gave it to dad.
Although when you actually cook them, they loose some of the color...but to the kids, it doesn't matter!
Honestly, it's those days when I make the pancakes fun, is the day my kids eat them the best...go figure! They really must taste better that way!
And what's even more fun that this? Fitting all the extra bowls in the dishwasher after dinner time!
Always looking for more ways to increase the "fun factor!"
What do you do to break up the normal boring routine?

5 comments:
You are the coolest mom! Thanx for showing us other dud moms ways to make it fun :)
That seems like fun. I think my boys would appreciate that. Yay!! I will have to do that some time.
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only mom that doesn't make a hot breakfast every morning! In fact, I'm pretty sure my kids actually think pancakes are a dinner food! What a fun thing to do for your kids!
I never thought about adding color to pancakes...I don't have kids, but I like colors too :)
Oolala! Fun!! Way to make cooking/eating creative & enjoyable :)
Post a Comment