I grew up in the 6th ward and so did my husband...although we were in different stakes, cities and even different states at the time. So it seems fitting that our first house ended up being in the 6th ward! As most of you know after only living here for 7 months Shawn got called into the Bishopric and since then I've had to play the part of a 'single mom' on Sundays (Tues & Wed. nights), and especially during Sacrament meeting. Shawn gets to watch nearly helpless from the stand as I struggle with four young kids. (he does have 'the mean look' that he gives the kids every once in a while!) Luckily for me there are some awesome members of the Relief Society in our ward. Since our youngest is our fussiest child EVER I often have to get up and
run out of the chapel, usually while he is screaming at his highest pitch. Well if you do the math...subtract 1 screaming child and one tired mom then your left with three small children left on the bench by themselves. This is where my ward steps in. At first I had one of the beehives trained to watch for me to leave and then come sit with my kids. But she often sits at the very back of the chapel and by the time her mom nudges her and she starts walking up to the front a members of the Relief Society has already gone to sit with them. It's always interesting to find out who is sitting with my kids that day. In fact recently it's gotten down right entertaining! When I go out the doors towards the front of the chapel I watch the sisters who see me pass, automatically twist in their seats to look back and see if any one has gone to sit with my kids yet. A couple of weeks ago when Rusty was calm enough to go back in the chapel (which is pretty rare, usually I have to stay out the rest of the meeting) I walked back in to see someone new sitting with my kids. I smiled and whispered my thanks and as I got closer she stood up and went back to sit with her family. After the meeting ended the sister sitting behind me leaned forward and told me that she didn't know why the other sister had to come sit with the kids...she was right there and was handling it just fine! Then another time a sister made a comment about how they're trying not to obviously fight over who gets to sit with my kids, although she was glad that she had won that day! I've had comments from other sisters who say they are patiently waiting for "their turn" to help me with the kids. Recently I've started to noticed that after I sit my family on a bench the seats around me quickly get filled up with those same loving sisters. I can only assume so that they will have a better advantage of helping when I need to leave. Like I said it's been quite entertaining especially for Shawn from his point of view from the stand! So I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the great Relief Society Sisters of our ward for their love and service during the past several months. I don't know if you realize how wonderful it is knowing that someone will always step in and watch over my children and how much that means to both Shawn and I! And not just during Sacrament meeting, there has been times where I'm in doing singing time and Shawn needs to do something, he never has to look far to find someone willing to take the baby and sometimes who is already there taking him from his arms! I (we) certainly feel loved and a little spoiled. I've been thinking, maybe next time little Rusty starts to scream in Sacrament meeting...if I simply hold him in the air, do you think one of those sweet sisters would trade me places? You deal with the screaming child and I will sit and listen to the talks??? Can you imagine what a scene that would cause as the grandma's race to get to the baby first!? You sisters are the BEST!
As I sat in the Conference Center for the General
Relief Society meeting on Saturday, I was impressed that one of the suggestions was to step up and serve one another by perhaps finding a mother struggling in Sacrament meeting and go sit with her...Ha! my ward already does that. Someday, it will be my turn to do that for someone else! One of my favorite talks (although they were all my favorite) was by Sister Barbara Thompson 2nd Counselor in General Relief Society, she said: "Sisters, now, more than ever we need women to step up and be strong. We need women who declare the truth with strength, faith, and boldness. We need women to set an example of righteousness. We need women to be anxiously engaged in a good cause..." And as she put on a huge grin she said "Don’t you just get excited to belong to Relief Society?" What a cutie. I was also there supporting my oldest sister who sang in the Choir, which sounded amazing and had, no doubt, a chorus of angles accompanying them. I've already watched it again on the TV twice and I can't wait for the rest of the meetings on Saturday and Sunday!
Thanks again to those amazing Relief Society sisters of the 6th ward! God Bless.
2 comments:
Awww! What a great ward you have to always be there when you need it. A great blessing indeed!
That is so great. I get a little emotional thinking of how quickly people jump up to serve. That does my heart good. I need to look for these opportunities in my ward before we have screaming kids of our own. Good reminder!
Post a Comment