9.12.2008

Oh, if life were FAIR!

Another year, another trip to the fair. My kids ask if we can go to the fair at random times all through the year. Of course they're talking about the Utah State Fair. We go every year and each year we do the same thing, we make a straight line to Helping Hands on the Farm. It's such a cute set up, the kids get an apron and a basket and they get to pretend to be a farmer. They get to go pick apples, plant & water seeds, harvest their vegetables, They get to gas up and drive tractors, (little John Deer Tricycles with trailers they carry a pretend bail of hay on!) They get to milk a pretend cow, groom a sheep...I personally love the gathering eggs part...it's something from my own childhood (although it was never 'fun' when I did it!) I get a kick out of scaring them as soon as they put their hand in the pen to grab an egg out from under the pretend chicken. Ahhh, I love teasing my kids, it's great fun. We always take our time getting through the displays, we look at everything and read all the signs most people will pass right by us and be done in less than 2 minutes when it takes us closer to 15 to finish. At the end the kids go to the 'farmers market' and sell off all their hard work. They in turn earn a cute little dollar to take to the 'grocery store' where they can buy fruit, cereal, chips, cheese and my kids favorite choc, strawberry, or root beer milk. Once the little farm is done, then we can go onto other things. Every year we let them choose a few rides to go on and this year they did an obstacle course that had three slides. Well for whatever reason Wesley has decided he's scared of the slides so 2 out of 3 he got stuck at the top and the operator had to clime up there and slide down with him, what a sweetheart. Our last stop this year was the butter cow. Shawn's Aunt is the one who sculpts it, so we always go check it out and each year we are more and more impressed with her artistic abilities! I don't know how she's going to top this one, it is WAY cute, but I'm sure she will! We were trying to get our traditional picture standing in front of the butter cow, but there was a mob in front of it checking it out. We ended up standing around waiting for it to clear, but we finally just shoved our way to the front (not really, we did say excuse me)and posed for the picture anyway. I'm sure everyone just thought we were jerks, but hey its a tradition, we can't break tradition! Ironically enough as we we're walking out to our car, we happen to see Shawn's Aunt, Uncle and cousins just coming to the fair. That is always fun to bump into family where you're not expecting too. We got to joke around with them a little (I love that family!) and tell Debbie what a great job she did on the butter cow, horse, pig, cat, ice cream, balloon etc...

Once again the count down begins until we go to the fair next year!


2 comments:

Kelly Jean said...

It was fun to see you guys for a split second! And I know, I love the fair. It really is tradition (like the past 11 years...) it's just a fun atmosphere! That's cute that your kids "gather eggs" ... I used to pretend to do that with my neighbors. Funnnn. :)

Anonymous said...

We love going to the fair too. It really is a fun tradition.

I saw that amazing butter sculpture! That is pretty cool you can claim you know the artist!

We did the "little farm hands" also. Even though my kiddos are older, they got a kick out of it. Especially milking the cow!

I'm glad your family had fun at the fair!