7.27.2008

Fun list

So the 6 of us (really only 5) sat down for FHE one day and decided to make a fun list of all the things we wanted to do before school started. Some of the things that ended up on our list are: camping, bowling, hike Ensign Peak, Church museam (I am a child of God, hands-on display is HIGHLY recommended) and other various things. Well there is still debate going on how this item got put on the list, but one of the 'fun things' was to go to the Great Salt Lake. Well, okay...I've never done that before. On Thursday (pioneer day) we had the whole day to just play, so we headed to down town SLC and played at the Gateway fountain, then we walked around temple square (by the way, you can take pictures inside the Museam, something I didn't know until we were leaving!) We then hopped on Trax (in the free zone) and rode back to our car. It was a little after 4pm and it was still scorching hot outside so we decided since we have all our swim suits, we would head out to the lake and play at the beach a little. We drove out to Saltair and parked the car. As soon as we opened the car door you could smell the stench. We walked over the little hill and dicovered that the beach has grown twice it's size since Shawn had last been here and we ended up walking probably a half a mile before we got out to the water. Then when we got to the shore there was, no kidding, a wall of bugs you had to jump through to get in the water. I kept thinking...am I really going to let my kids play in this, but one by one we all jumped in. Unfortunatley I wasn't thinking and wore my shoes right into the the Great Salt Lake....yeah brilliant, I guess I was so grossed out that I didn't want to feel it with my toes...so now I get to have new sandles. It took most of us a long time to get comfortable with 'playing' in the water, that is everyone except for Wesley. He thought it was great fun, digging his hands into the sludge and throwing it on the rest of us. Can you say Nasty! However, one nice thing I can say about the lake is that the water is the same temperature as a warm bath tub. If you can only get past the image and smell of decayed brine shrimp it's a lovely place to play. Thank goodness Saltair has outside showers so you can at least rinse off before you get back in the car. Anway we got home and walked into the door and Josh said matter of factly, "well we can cross off one, not so fun thing, off our fun list! Which leaves us with 7 fun things left...lets hope they are all fun! Have you all gone to the GSL?? (You should go *wink*). What kinds of things do you have on your fun lists?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy GROSS!! I can't believe you ventured to the GSL!! Our family has always "talked" about going out there- and out to antelope island- but there is NO WAY I am stepping foot out there!! You are seriously brave!! Way to go!!

This summer we have tried to experience more of Utah by going to a Bee's game, Timpanogos Caves, and backpacking the Uintas.

Teachinfourth said...

Hmmm. I'm pretty grossed out to be honest. I have been to the Salt Flats, but not to the Lake.

I think what Josh said was pretty funny though, I just about split with laughter.

Have you gone to the Children's Museum up north of Temple Square? If I remember rightly (it's been a few years) it was pretty fun. Also, the planetarium rocks!