Thanks!
Rhoda
![]() |
| The Philippines are beautiful! |
![]() |
| The bridge to get to a bundock (community type thing) was flooded so we had to de-shoe and walk across! |
![]() |
| Just myself doing that good ole laundry! |
Recently Scott has gotten sick (which we've heard happens quite a bit over there!). He wasn't able to keep food or water down for almost an entire week, they eventually hospitalized him. We got an email from his mom (my sister) asking for us to please pray for Scott. Rusty was the only one home at the time so I asked him if he would pray with me...so we immediately got to our knees and said a prayer asking for the Lord to help Scott and those around him to know what to do and help him get better. A few days later we found out that the medicine was starting to help and that he was able to keep a little food down. He was released from the hospital and looked like he was on the road to recovery.
This past Sunday was Fast Sunday where we, as a family, had the opportunity to fast (well those of us who are old enough!--but we have our little kids pray with us.). As we were talking about our fast last month and how we focused on not only missionary work but specifically our two missionaries. I mentioned again that one of our missionaries had really needed those blessing from our faith and prayers. Without missing a beat Rusty jumped up and told everyone, "Yeah and Scott got all better because I prayed and Jesus made him feel better!"
The power and FAITH of a child...he KNEW his prayer helped, he had no doubt. I had emailed my nephew Scott to tell him that we were ALL praying for him and I included this short little story of Rusty. He sent a letter the next day and I wanted to include a portion of it here, I edited it a little because they have a private blog:
So my health is on the up and up! When I was released from the hospital I was told I needed to rest for a week. That didn't work out too well cause I was so sick of just sitting in my apartment! We went out and worked Saturday and Sunday! I am feeling much much better! I am able to keep my food down which has been a huge blessing. I almost forgot how much I love food! Haha, not really cause I was craving it the whole time I just couldn't eat it cause it'd come back up...anyways. The hospital stay was quite the experience! Haha, hospitals here are quite different than hospitals in the US. Not bad at all though! For the most part, the hospital was very clean! The way they did blood tests though was really different, because I remember when I was in the hospital for that extended period time back in the day and had to get blood tests every five minutes from my remembering, (not really but you know what I mean, I looked like I was a drug addict when I got out of there that one time from all the pokes!) They told me that you can't allow air into the blood tube because it messes up the results, but here they poked me and just let it funnel out of my needle into a little cup! Ha, it was quite strange! But as for the nurses and everything, they were very nice. So right when I got to my room, which had aircon/air conditioning (that's a pretty big luxury here), I was put on an I.V. to get all the fluids back into me cause I was so dehydrated. That's about it, just laid there with an I.V. for 24 hours+. Good thing was I got a lot of good language study in with my companion, also got a lot of Book of Mormon reading in this past week. Poor Elder, man I told him to go ask for a mattress from the nurses but he refused and he slept on a wood bench for the night. I don't know what that guy was thinking! He's a huge champ though for helping me through all this and staying positive. I'm beyond blessed to have him as my companion right now! As for this week though, I really am doing much better, still haven't quite regained my full appetite but everything is staying down. I've really been struggling with some bad headaches! But other than that, things on the health wise situation I'm doing pleasantly well.
So all I can really report about is my fantastic studying I have had this week!!! I've come across so many things this week that have really blessed me, the spirit has been super strong this week for me! I don't know if you guys have read through the Ensign or here the Liahona for January. I've read the article/talk from Elder D. Todd Christofferson titled, "Recognizing God's Hand In Our Daily Blessings." This article has made my week! I would highly suggest you read it!!
Let's see what else is new... We are heading up to Minaili this next week/tomorrow so I'm pretty stoked about that one! We should have a very good week up there! Excited to see our investigators and be able to teach a few lessons! Oh, and Mom thank you for the complement on me looking so good! You are way too kind! Ha, but lets see, I'm pretty sure I've lost about 45 to 50 pounds since I've been in the field! Ha, crazy stuff! But I feel great, I don't think I've ever been happier :) Things are just going so well for me personally right now! And I just love this work! Also, the language seems to be coming along! I feel the best I have with it since I've been here and that has taken quite a nice stress off my shoulders!
Well Family, I love you all so very much! I can't even begin to thank you all enough for all of the prayers!! Tell Rusty that it was undoubtedly his prayer that healed me ;) Haha, again I'm so thankful for all of you! Words can't describe how much I love you all :) KEEP THE FAITH!
MGA MAHAL,
Elder Andrus
So after reading that last paragraph I grabbed Rusty and read it to him, he was quite excited that Scott had mentioned him and exclaimed, "I knew it, I knew it--cause I prayed for him!"
Well fast forward a few days and it turns out that after only 4 days of missionary work the sickness crept up on Scott again. This time they flew him to Manila to a bigger hospital and he is currently there. The Mission President informs us that: "Scott will be staying at the Missionary Resource Center in Manila while seeing the doctor and completing required testing. Dr. Bondok there is very good and they have world-class facilities. Missionaries love the MRC because the food is so great. We will keep you updated on his condition. His attitude remains great. I am sure we will get to the bottom of this."
As I was reading this email earlier today Rusty had walked by and so I read him this email and he quickly replied, "MOM, I know what to do! -- We need to say a prayer!" He lead me over to the couch, knelt down and told me, don't worry mom, I got this one!" And he started to say a simple quick prayer blessing Scott to feel better, to get his "stuff" done, and to have a good day!" Rusty ended his prayer by saying, "In the name of Jesus Christ....Amen." AMEN! He stood up and smiled, gave me a hug and a kiss and went on his way. If I could have as much faith as a child...
Our prayers are directed to a hospital in Manila, Hopefully they will be able to figure out what is going on with Scott and be able to help him. I will echo an earlier sentiment from Scott, I know that whatever happens will be what the Lord wants/needs to happen..."Since then, things have just been getting progressively worse! It's tough, but I know how ever or whatever comes out of this will be the right thing."
Here is a picture of Scott on a better day...
![]() |
| Oh and we got to baptize in the river! It was an awesome experience!!! |
We love you Scott, God bless you and keep you strong and safe!

The ending of one of Scott's letters recently written in Tagalog:
Alam ko na totoo ang simbihan ni Jesucristo na mga banal sa mga huling araw. Nagpapasalamat ako para sa opportunidad ng serve ni Jesucristo at Tagapagligtas ko. Mahal ko si Jesucristo at nagpapasalamat para sa perpecktong halimbawa niya para sa atin lahat. Alam ko na totoo ang Aklat ni Mormon. Alam ko na sa pamamagitan ng Aklat ni Mormon, pwede tayong maging mas malapit sa Diyos. Mahal ko ang ebanghelio ni Jesucristo.
Google translate:
I know the true Jesus Christ simbihan saints in the last days. I am grateful for the opportunity of serving Jesus Christ and my Savior. I love Jesus Christ and perpecktong grateful for his example for us all. I know that the Book of Mormon. I know that through the Book of Mormon, we can be closer to God. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ.




No comments:
Post a Comment