12.09.2008

A sad but happy day!



My husbands grandfather died early this week...Grandpa Joe. What an amazing man. We will miss him terribly. Here is the reference to his obituary and also a tribute his granddaughter wrote in her blog that seems to describe him perfectly.

My favorite part in his obituary is the line..."Although he was a thrifty Scot" yeah...no kidding he was! He wouldn't spend a dime to replace something, if it still worked okay. His fridge for example, it was old and the handle was broken....but it still kept the food cold. So for years, you had to hold it at just the right place and apply just the right pressure in order for it to open. I don't know how many times I "broke the fridge" when I opened it.

Whenever he talked about his heritage he would start talking in his thick scottish accent...how I would love to hear him do that one more time!
Last Christmas we went to his house for the annual Christmas Eve party and I was GREAT with child at the time. Shawn dropped me off in the living room into one of the chairs and he had to leave to go shovel the snow out of the driveway. Well a few minutes later Grandpa waddled into the living room with his cane and sat down in the chair opposite me. We realized that neither one of us could get up very well and that we were both...stuck! It was great, we were stuck together. We sat there and he just told me some stories. I always enjoyed his stories, even if he told the same story over and over again...every once in a while I'd hear a new one and it was always worth it.
Well I can't tell you how happy it made me to have a grandpa again...even if it was only for a little while. I will miss you grandpa. Love you!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear about his passing. I hope he went in peace.

Kelly Jean said...

Ah, this is sweet. It was a beautiful funeral. He would've been so proud.

Steph H said...

During the whole funeral I kept thinking, "Grandpa would've LOVED this. I wish he could be here." I felt peace knowing that maybe his spirit was. Maybe the room was a lot fuller than we realized with other spirits that had already passed on but wanted to pay tribute to Grandpa. What a wonderful man.

Steph H said...

During the whole funeral I kept thinking, "Grandpa would've LOVED this. I wish he could be here." I felt peace knowing that maybe his spirit was. Maybe the room was a lot fuller than we realized with other spirits that had already passed on but wanted to pay tribute to Grandpa. What a wonderful man.

Steph H said...

During the whole funeral I kept thinking, "Grandpa would've LOVED this. I wish he could be here." I felt peace knowing that maybe his spirit was. Maybe the room was a lot fuller than we realized with other spirits that had already passed on but wanted to pay tribute to Grandpa. What a wonderful man.

Steph H said...

Oops. Sorry I posted three times.... and now a fourth.