12.08.2008

Magic

I'm not the best magician in the world but when it comes to Christmas, I'm all about the magic. I remember when I was little how much I enjoyed the suspense and anticipation of the season...what would Santa bring me, if I listen closely I might hear him on the roof, Maybe I'll see Rudolf's red nose this year, etc. It's ten times more fun creating the magic as parents. I watch my kids looking up at the sky, or wondering aloud if Santa got their letter. We have a gentleman in the ward who for the past few years he has come over to our neighborhood at night and will ring his sleigh bells. It's a blast, my kids giggle with delight and then start yelling at mom and dad to get to bed NOW, he's here..he's here! It's fantastic. This year we have created a whole new element of fun...The Secret Giver (Friend Magazine pg 4.) We decided to be secret Santa's and make plates of cookies to give to other people. My kids have been on the look out for people they want to give their cookies to. Yesterday at church one of the ladies in our ward misplaced her scriptures and was frantically looking for them. After she left...without her scriptures, Josh came up to me and told me he wanted to give his cookies to her and would it be too much if we could get her a new Book of Mormon too? My kids are amazing!

So whatever your traditions whether it be in Santa or the act of giving to others...make magic happen this season. You'll be glad you did.

Have fun making magic!

3 comments:

WRYUN said...

Oh I love it all too, I can't wait for those magic days!! Who does the bell ringing?

Rhoda said...

I'm sure if you thought about it you'd probably be able to guess who it is! Pres. Taylor! That man does nothing but give to other people...even on Christmas eve night!

Teachinfourth said...

I know what you mean by creating the magic for others...there is something pretty magical about that too.